Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Beauty Sleep... ZZZzzzZZZzzz

I usually give you a little Gossip Sesh from my weekend on Tuesday's... 
But this weekend I didn't do much!
I made it a goal to NOT schedule myself with so many social events; I was in desperate need for some down time!

So, my weekend consisted of SLEEP!
*Beauty Sleep*

To be exact, 15hrs straight of uninterrupted quality shut eye!
When I woke, I felt incredibly disoriented but I was LOOKING GOOD!
My Dad used to tuck me into bed every night, as a kid, and he would say: "Goodnight Kitty Cat, get some good Beauty Sleep."
I really never thought too much about what that meant, until right now! 
Do you know the true benefits of a GOOD night's sleep and why it's called BEAUTY sleep?

Here's the science behind it:

  • LOGIC: Laying down changes the effects of the force of gravity on your face and neck. Your facial muscles need a break just like the rest of your body. By laying down/sleeping you are giving your skin and facial muscles a chance to be relatively still and without expression - Making repetitive facial expressions is the number one contributor to wrinkles and fine lines.  (Ever seen what your face looks like laying down? Everything looks different - look specifically at your eye-brows. Tip: Always have your brow's shaped - waxed, threaded etc. sitting upright.)
  • FACT: When we are asleep the entire body perspires more. This moisture helps to smooth wrinkles and is considered a natural skin treatment.
  • FACT: We typically experience a surge in growth hormones while sleeping. The secretion of growth hormones helps to repair and rebuild body tissues like muscle and bone. But it's really called BEAUTY SLEEP because many of the body’s cells increase in production and slow the breakdown of proteins during deep sleep. Proteins are needed for cell growth and repair of damage from stress and ultraviolet rays.

Most importantly; Stress harms the body's ability to repair itself. Sleep deprivation applies stress to the body and leads to an unhealthy appearance.

So ladies, GET A GOOD NIGHT SLEEP, EVERY NIGHT and try sleeping on your back to avoid facial wrinkles from your pillow.
Xo

How Many Hours of Sleep do You get each Night?







2 comments:

  1. I always try to aim for 8 hours, but it ends up being more like 6. Great post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. They say 8hrs is optimal, I'm not sure how people get 8hrs every night! Hhehe
    Glad you enjoyed it!
    Xo

    ReplyDelete